Medical Visits/Volunteering has started a new program known as Reusable Sanitary Pads to offer a much-needed solution for School girls in rural Tanzania. During menstruation, girls and young women living in rural areas of Tanzania have no choice but to use rags instead of cost-prohibitive feminine hygiene products. This leads to many problems, including excessive school absence.
We have a found an exciting solution. Our 10 HIV infected women group that we help have learned how to produce Reusable Sanitary Pads. For a donation of: $8/pad the product is distributed to young ladies in school in rural areas.
This contribution has two positive outcome, you have helped these HIV infected Women who have been abandoned, and you have helped one young girl staying comfortably in class using our Reusable Sanitary Pads! The products are made of soft, colorful, absorbent flannel with a special waterproof barrier and attach to the underwear like panty liners. They last around three years and provide a much-needed, multi-faceted solution.
Here’s why we love this program:
1. Girls Graduate: With a reusable menstrual pad kit, a young woman can stay in school! No longer does she have to worry about her health and hygiene during her period and her risk of dropping out decreases dramatically. Health problems, combined with the ineffectiveness of using rags during menses, results in girls not attending school during their period.
This is a leading cause of the high drop-out rates among girls and is a life-changing consequence that can be prevented with this effective menstrual hygiene option.
2. The Local Economy is Boosted: Most of the materials used in the production of these reusable menstrual pads are sourced in Tanzania. Anytime we can spend money in-country, it helps the local economy. And it’s not just the local economy that gets a boost. Confidence is boosted, too!
The Medical Visits Volunteering team is enthusiastic about the opportunity this program provides. The improvement in their confidence and self-esteem is evident in their work and commitments.
The United Nations estimates that 10% of girls in Sub-Saharan Africa miss up to 20% of the school year due to her menstrual cycle.
3. Our HIV infected women group Generate Income: Our 10 Women HIV group which grows everyday have been trained to manufacture the Reusable Sanitary Pads and profit from the production. This is the group that can no longer be in work force as some of them have been abandoned by their societies and families. When the HIV infected women earn money, they often spend it on food for their families, paying for their health insurance and education for their children.
4. The Environment is Less Stressed: Reusable Sanitary Pads produce little waste and are therefore better for our environment. One pack of reusable menstrual pads created and distributed to these young women in school lasts for three years! Compare that to the average Westerner who uses an average of 20 tampons or pads per menstrual period, thus using 250-300 pounds of products, applicators, and wrappers in a lifetime.
5. Hygiene is Improved: Disposable pads are quite expensive in Tanzania and using old rags leads to embarrassing leakage, urinary tract infections, and other medical problems. Reusable menstrual pads are far healthier (because of fewer infections) than rags. Larger, more absorbent pads are used for women after delivery, women (or men) with incontinence, and are very much needed for fistula.
Whether you represent an organisation interested in supporting VHSO or an Individual : if you would like to join the VHSO efforts, or discuss other means of getting involved, please CONTACT US. VHSO promise that 100% of all donations received will be spent on Distribution of reusable sanitary pads to school girls. If you would like to support in other ways, for example through holding an event, climbing Kilimanjaro, running a marathon etc. Email us at: email@example.com or Whatsapp: +255767747410